To: All National Representatives of the Full and Affiliate Member Societies All Corporate Members’ Representatives
The Committee on Nomenclature, Properties and Units (C-NPU), under the chairmanship of Dr. Karin Toska, intends to replace one member who has completed his term of office.
The terms of reference and current projects of the C-NPU are as follows:
Terms of Reference
- To continuously provide advice in relation to the management, updating and publishing of NPU terminology.
- To make recommendations on NPU for reporting clinical laboratory data that conform to or adapt current standards of authoritative organizations, and that will improve their utilization for health care.
- To provide a connection with other organizations concerned with NPU, such as the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM), the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and, by extension, clinical laboratory sciences societies, such as the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC), and the in vitro diagnostics industry, to ensure that problems encountered by health care professionals in the area of NPU are considered by those organizations.
- To act as a consultant group on NPU in clinical chemistry and, by extension, in the rest of clinical laboratory sciences to international scientific panels, regional and national clinical laboratory sciences organizations, editors of scientific journals, manufacturers of clinical laboratory instrumentation and products, and to individual clinical laboratory professionals and other health care professionals.
- To report and offer advice to the SD Chair and the SD Executive Committee on matters concerning NPU in all its aspects (all items above).
Transfer of the NPU generic database to IFCC site: help and advice on training the future IFCC NPU database manager(s) in relation to the installation, updating and management of the database, and on its relationship relations with other national versions.
- Mapping of the IFCC-IUPAC laboratory coding system to SNOMED CT.
- Securing and structural updating of information in the NPU coding system and its environment.
Development of an international vocabulary for nominal examinations in scientific communication.
Information on the current composition of the C-NPU and its activities are available on the IFCC Website at following link: http://www.ifcc.org/ifcc-scientific-division/sd-committees/c-npu/. More specific information can be obtained directly from Dr. Karin Toska (email@example.com).
Nominations should be sent directly to the IFCC Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) by using the enclosed application form, before January 25th, 2019.
Following approval, the candidates will be appointed for a three-year term (commencing in February 2019). A second three-year term is allowed following satisfactory review at the end of the first term by the Scientific Division Executive Committee following consultation with the C-NPU Chairman.